Windows XP - Use Bit9 FileAdvisor To Determine A Mystery File's Origin
If you find a file on your computer that you don't recognize, you may worry that it's malware. Before you panic, check out Bit9's free FileAdvisor to learn if the file comes from a legitimate source.
To register with Bit9 and use FileAdvisor on the web:
- Point your browser to fileadvisor.bit9.com.
- In the Enter File Name Or Hash text box, enter the name of the file you're researching and click the Search button.
- The Search Results page displays and asks you to log in or register.
- If you haven't registered, click the Register ink and enter the required information. (It's free!)
- Click the Login link to log in. FileAdvisor displays a list of files that match your search.
- Click a file; FileAdvisor displays information about the file you selected.
As you can see, Bit9 tells you the suspect file's source, including a hyperlink to the website. At this time, FileAdvisor lists only legitimate vendors, so you can click the hyperlink to safely investigate the vendor. If Bit9 doesn't list a source, then kick your defense mechanisms into high gear. Make sure your anti-virus program is up-to-date, run a scan of your drive, and ensure you're firewall is running.